Saturday, August 30, 2014

The Summer Netflix Binge of 2014

*update* After writing this post I realized it probably seems like I have no life or job which is not TOTALLY true. Ok the 'no life' part is true but I do have a job. and have actually been quite busy this summer. Wait why am I even justifying my TV show obsession? Good bye. I went on a Netflix binge starting about 3 months ago. Here are my thoughts on the shows I watched.  

Friday Night Lights

friday_night_lights_show-11045 Clear eyes...full hearts....can't...stop....crying. I realized I'm about 6 years late on Friday Night Lights. After being recommended to me by like 7 different people and feeling extremely left out of the FNL fandom on Tumblr, I caved. Best. Decision. Ever. This was probably one of the best shows I have ever watched in my life. Like crying during every episode good. and not the sad kind of crying..like worlds-happiest-mother crying because I am so happy for these characters (very out of character). Even as the series progressed and old characters left and new characters took over...which is usually the sign of a shows demise...it was STILL good. Like just as good. I don't even know what it is. I'm not super into football or high school dramas but this show was different.    

Orange is the New Black

ORANGE This goes without saying. If the first season was gold then this season was platinum...or something better than gold. The character development of this show is ridiculous. I'm obsessed with all of the characters and their back stories. I actually became obsessed with Morello even more if that's possible. She is bat-shit crazy and I absolutely love it because you would never even know. Not sure what that says about my judge of character but her back story had to be my favorite. For season 3 I hope they go even deeper into why they're all actually in prison. Also less Piper, more everyone else = yes. You go Jenji Kohan.    

Bob's Burgers

tina-from-bobs-burgers If you don't watch Bobs Burgers I don't think we can even be friends because you won't get any of my jokes. You don't even have to watch it in order. Just watch like 2 episodes. I am Tina and Tina is every average adolescent girl. I'm obsessed that she is so obsessed with boys and butts. Tina perfectly embodies how it feels to be that age. I have to admit that following my Netflix binge I basically just watch Bob's Burgers on repeat now. Bob is everyone's dad and Lynn is that mom that you wish you had but also are glad is not you're mom. Every character is relate-able to the viewers in one way or another.    

Broad City

81b43c60-b46b-11e3-b495-21b33d8b31ba_Ass-Looks-Incredible best. show. ever. If you want a brief glimpse as to what it would be like if my best friend lived in New York city and lived out our fantasies, it would be Broad City. Broad City is like a more watchable version of GIRLS. IMO. No hate on Lena Dunham but Broad City doesn't make you want to kill yourself for being an under-employed twenty-something, it makes you embrace the fact that you enjoy getting high and not really caring about the fact that you're expected to join the actual adult world. It also teaches viewers how to properly dispose of poop if the toilet stops working, and how to hide illegal substances in your vagina. LIFE LESSONS.    

House of Cards

Kevin-Spacey-House-of-Cards-Netflix
I was hesitant about hopping on the HoC train just because its all everyone was talking about. and being a Scandal fan, I wasn't sure if I could handle another sexy political drama. At first I was skeptical. It seemed very predictable. Political corruption, backstabbing and blackmailing...blah blah blah....and then someone got pushed in front of a train and my life was turned upside down. LIKE WHAT???????????????? Like really......what????? Wasn't she the main character???? The story was JUST getting started.......WHO DOES THAT. Not even Shonda  could've written a death like that. I am still in mourning. I don't even want to finish this post. and then season 2 ended exactly how I pictured it would. Obviously I will be watching Season 3. against my will though.